SJCC Facility Use and/or Program Participation Policy
Thank you for being a part of the Stroum Jewish Community Center – we are happy you’re joining our community. The SJCC’s mission is to create outstanding programs, partnerships, and spaces that welcome everyone to learn, grow, and celebrate Jewish life and culture. We are committed to providing a welcoming environment for all members, guests, and staff. As a participant you play an important role in helping us create this environment by acting appropriately, following the values of our community, and abiding by the following policies:
- All members are required to use their assigned SJCC access card to enter the building, Early Childhood School, Fitness Center, upgraded locker rooms, and other access-controlled areas. Do not aid or abet the unauthorized entrance of anyone without an access card.
- Children 10 years of age and younger must be attended while in the facility. Parents and guardians must follow SJCC age guidelines and protocols for signing children in and out.
Fitness Center is open to:
- Ages 16+
- Ages 13-15 with a youth certification or accompanied by an SJCC instructor
- Ages 11-12 accompanied by an SJCC instructor
- Age 10 and younger are not permitted in fitness areas at any time
- Appropriate attire must be worn at all times. With the exception of the pool and locker rooms where swimsuits are permitted, shirts and shoes are required when inside the SJCC.
- Members and guests are required to adhere to the posted schedules for usage of all our facilities including the gym, café, public areas, pool, Fitness Center, etc.
- Members and guests shall report any suspicious or inappropriate behaviors to the SJCC staff. Members and guests are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and helping keep the facility attractive. Participants are encouraged to let the staff know if an area of the facility or a piece of equipment needs cleaning, maintenance, or repair.
- All equipment and supplies provided for use must remain within the facility and be returned in good condition to their original location.
- With the exception of service animals, pets are not permitted indoors unless it is for an authorized event.
- Mobile phone use is prohibited at all times in the locker rooms; phone calls are not allowed in the Fitness Center. Please be considerate of other members and guests when using your mobile phone in permitted areas.
- Community members may post flyers, posters, and/or announcements on the SJCC community bulletin board only. Do not post anything on other walls/bulletin boards or leave promotional materials in common areas. Inappropriate or irrelevant content will be removed. All postings are at the discretion of SJCC management.
- SJCC and its employees are not responsible for the loss or damage of valuables or property belonging to members, guests, or visitors while they are on the SJCC campus or attending any SJCC-sponsored event or program. Members and guests are encouraged to store and lock all personal belongings in lockers. Day-use lockers are available; members/guests must provide their own locks. Staff members are not permitted to hold valuables or bags for anyone.
- All members, guests and visitors are expected to follow SJCC’s reopening policies and procdures, which are subject to change without notice at any time.
- We expect everyone using the SJCC to behave in a mature and responsible way, and to respect the rights and dignity of other members, guests, and staff. The following behaviors are prohibited and may result in termination of membership; they include, but are not limited to:
- Angry, vulgar, or threatening language or actions (including swearing, name-calling, shouting, physical contact, etc.); any demonstration of sexual activity or sexual contact with another person; harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or menacing behavior.
- Theft, loitering, or behavior that results in destruction of property.
- Carrying or concealing any weapons or devices/objects that may be perceived as weapons.
- Consuming illegal or controlled substances on SJCC property, in SJCC vehicles, or at SJCC-sponsored events. Alcohol consumption is prohibited unless it is during an authorized event. Persons under age 21 may not consume alcohol on the property at any time. Smoking – including e-cigarettes – is not permitted anywhere on SJCC property or at SJCC-sponsored events or programs.
- Any activity that is a conflict of interest with services the SJCC provides, such as personal training or swim lessons.
- Failing to follow SJCC’s reopening policies.
- Any other conduct of an inappropriate, threatening, or offensive nature as determined by SJCC staff.
Revised June 17, 2020
RELEASE, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT AND WAIVER OF CONSENT AND COMMITMENT TO SJCC’S REOPENING POLICIES
IN CONSIDERATION OF BEING PERMITTED TO USE THE FACILITIES AT AND/OR BEING A MEMBER OF THE SAMUEL AND ALTHEA STROUM JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER OF GREATER SEATTLE (THE “SJCC”) AND FOR THE UNDERSIGNED (AND THE UNDERSIGNED’S MINOR CHILDREN, IF ANY) BEING PERMITTED TO UTILIZE THE FACILITIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE MERCER ISLAND LOCATION’S POOL, GYMS, FITNESS CENTER, ITS SIDEWALKS, PARKING AREAS, ACCESS AREAS AND OUTDOOR FACILITIES AND THE FACILITIES OF THE SJCC LOCATED ELSEWHERE, AND BEING PERMITTED TO UTILIZE THE SERVICES AND PROGRAMS OF THE SJCC, WHETHER ON-SITE OR OFF-SITE, THE UNDERSIGNED, FOR HIMSELF OR HERSELF AND SUCH PARTICIPATING CHILDREN HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES TO THE FOLLOWING:
1. THE UNDERSIGNED ON HIS OR HER BEHALF AND BEHALF OF SUCH CHILDREN, HEREBY RELEASES, WAIVES, DISCHARGES AND COVENANTS NOT TO SUE the SJCC, its directors, officers, employees, and agents (hereinafter referred to as the “Releasees”) from all liability to the undersigned and to such children and the personal representatives, heirs and next of kin of the undersigned and such children, for any loss or damage, and any claim or demands therefore on account of injury to the person or property, even those resulting in death of the undersigned or such children, whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise, while the undersigned or such children are in, upon, or about the premises or any facilities or equipment therein or participating in any service or program affiliated with the SJCC. The agreements in this paragraph and those in the next two paragraphs are given with the understanding that the risk of injury and damage exists in many forms with the following being only some of them: being in contact with others; the sudden and unforeseen malfunctioning of equipment; use of play areas or play equipment; a person’s reaction to exercise, instructions, foods and drinks, dietary recommendations and the like; slipping and falling whether on flat surfaces, uneven surfaces, wet areas (such as around the pool and in locker rooms) and stairs; drowning or near drowning in the pool; the effects of the weather and/or temperature indoors or outdoors; the effects of natural disasters; acts of terrorism; and the effects of exposure to any and all presently known and unknown viruses (including but not limited to SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19), pathogens, bacteria, germs, and diseases. The undersigned expressly acknowledges that it is the undersigned’s responsibility to obtain a physician’s release statement and provide the same to the SJCC if the undersigned and/or the undersigned’s child has any physical or mental condition that may impair the undersigned’s or such child’s ability to engage in any of the SJCC’s services, programs or activities or increase the risk of injury to the undersigned or such child.
2. THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY INDEMNIFIES AND AGREES TO HOLD HARMLESS the Releasees and each of them from any, loss, liability, damage or cost they may incur due to the presence of the undersigned or such children in, upon or about the SJCC premises or in any way observing or using any facilities or equipment of the SJCC’S or participating in any service or program affiliated with the SJCC whether caused by the negligence of the Releasees or otherwise.
3. THE UNDERSIGNED HEREBY ASSUMES FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR AND RISK OF BODILY INJURY, DEATH AND PROPERTY DAMAGE to the undersigned, such children, the property of the undersigned and the property of the undersigned’s children due to negligence of Releasees or otherwise while in, about or upon the premises of the SJCC and/or while using the premises or any facilities or equipment thereon or participating in any service or program affiliated with the SJCC.
THE UNDERSIGNED further expressly agrees that the three foregoing sections and the introductory paragraph thereto are intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the law of the State of Washington and that if any portion thereof is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
THE UNDERSIGNED further expressly agrees that this document constitutes a waiver of consent, and that the Undersigned commits to follow all of SJCC’s reopening policies, including but not limited to its reopening policies, and that the Undersigned signed this document prior to the Undersigned’s scheduled appointment time or prior to the Undersigned’s post-reopening use of SJCC’s facilities, whichever occurred sooner.
THE UNDERSIGNED HAS READ AND VOLUNTARILY SIGNS THIS RELEASE, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT AND WAIVER OF CONSENT AND COMMITMENT TO SJCC’S REOPENING POLICIES, and further agrees that no oral representations, statements, or inducement apart from the foregoing written agreement have been made.
Revised June 17, 2020