The Power of Your Membership in Action
Features: Because of the J…
- Using their Voices to Make Concrete Change (6/9/2022) - Giving Initiative for Teens raises $7,000 to grant to local nonprofits. Read more >>
- Challenge Accepted! Families Give Back During the J’s Volunteer Challenge (4/21/2022) - Fifteen families joined the Mitzvah Corps Volunteer Challenge this spring. "It's helped me appreciate what I have," said 14-year-old Roland Liu. "You're helping other people and you get to see the immediate impact of what you're doing."
- Helping the J Navigate the New Normal (3/1/2022) - Meet several members of the J's Finance and Welcome Desk teams - a few of the unsung heroes that kept the J an open and welcoming place for our community during the pandemic.
- Holding the Keys to Four Decades at the J (12/14/2021) - From babysitting the old boiler to opening the doors to members at 5 am, Maintenance Supervisor Soy Try-Chhee has spent the past 45 years building his career -- and his life in the United States -- at the J.
- Dishing Up Hanukkah Traditions (11/29/2021) - We asked our staff to share some of their favorite Hanukkah recipes, and the stories behind how they became holiday traditions. Plus: they weigh in on the applesauce vs. sour cream debate!
- ECS Director’s Childhood Bat Mitzvah Dreams Come True (11/9/2021) - Many young children dream of having a pony or going to Disneyland. Carrie Stull, the J’s Director of Early Childhood, dreamed of having a bat mitzvah. Now, decades later, her dreams are finally coming true.
- Week 2 Wraps Up With Mini-Maccabiah! (7/1/2022) - Week 2 of Summer J Camp had us jumping for joy! We swam, hit the water in Lake Washington, baked cakes, explored space, and had a Mini Maccabiah competition!
- Let Summer Begin! Summer J Camp Week 1 (6/24/2022) - Summer is here and with it the return of Summer J Camp. We have officially wrapped up week one and we jumped right in. Take a look at the fun from week one...
- Truck Day Returns (5/19/2022) - For the first time since May of 2019, the trucks were back! That's right, Truck Day returned to the J this week and we can't thank our partners enough. Take a look at the fun and who made the day so great.
- Lag B’Omer Celebration (5/18/2022) - Lag B’Omer begins this evening (Wednesday, May 18) and ends at sundown on Thursday, May 19. Despite the rain this past weekend the J celebrated with our Lag B'Omer Garden Party on Sunday, May 15. From trays of s'mores to friends + families having lots of fun, it was a great day at the J
- 2022 Purim Parade (3/18/2022) - Our annual Purim Parade with the J's Early Childhood School is a highlight every year. From superheros to cute animals, smiles all around. Enjoy some of our favorite pics from yesterday.
- Hitting the Trails (1/20/2022) - On Monday local teens gathered to clean local trails for Tu B’Shevat and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Enjoy these photos from our Mitzvah Corps day of service.
SJCCtv Featured Videos
Join the Summer J Camp StaffLooking for a fun and rewarding summer job where you’ll develop leadership skills, work with kids, and make friends? Become a J Camp counselor at the Stroum Jewish Community Center's Summer J Camp!
Spend your days working with dozens of your peers to create engaging games and activities for your camp group—from arts and crafts to waterfront activities to swimming and sports, there’s never a dull moment at J Camp.
Whether you’re new to working with kids or a seasoned pro, we’ll provide the training you need to be a confident leader this summer. You’ll develop problem-solving and mentoring skills, find creative solutions to new challenges, make great friends, have an impact on the community, and gain valuable work experience. Plus, you’ll make money and get a free SJCC membership, so you can workout and swim all summer long!
We have a variety of positions open for this summer, so apply today to join our J Camp team and help hundreds of kids have a summer to remember!
Tot Shabbat with Chava (March 11, 2022)Tot Shabbat at the Stroum Jewish Community Center presented live in person and virtually every Friday at 9:15 am. Join us at the J or from your own home! Tot Shabbat is presented by Stroum Jewish Community Center, Herzl-Ner Tamid Conservative Congregation, PJ Library, and the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle.
Tot Shabbat with Chava (Mar. 4, 2022)Celebrate Shabbat from your own home with songs, challah, and fun with our Tot Shabbat led by Chava Mirel. Fun for the entire family right in your own living room or where ever you might be. This is from Friday, Mar. 4, 2022.
Tot Shabbat is presented by the J, Herzl-Ner Tamid Conservative Congregation, PJ Library, and the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle.
2022 Seattle Jewish Film Festival TrailerThe 27th Seattle Jewish Film Festival features 18 films from nine countries over two weeks, March 24-April 10. With both virtual and in-person screenings and events, this festival offers the best of both worlds. SJFF welcomes global Jewish and Israeli talent and stories from around the world to bring us together—whether you watch from the comfort of your home or meet your friends at the theater for in-person screenings and events.
Tickets + Film Information: www.seattlejff.org
220208 ECS commercial jan2022Enrollment for the Fall of 2022 at the J’s Early Childhood School, a preschool located in Mercer Island, Wash., is now open! The J's ECS is more than a preschool. Our Reggio Emilia-inspired program welcomes everyone. When your child attends ECS, your whole family becomes part of our community. We have age-based programs for ages 3 months through Kindergarten.
2022 SJCC Celebration & FundraiserWelcome to the Stroum Jewish Community Center's 2022 Celebration & Fundraiser! Our goal is to raise $600,000 to support this year’s key areas of need: ECS and camp scholarships, rising security costs, community outreach, holiday celebrations, staff retention amidst this competitive job market, and financial support to ease our transition into new operating modes, including hybrid program delivery. All this with a reduced membership base. With your help, we will make it there!
To make a donation, pleases visit our website at: www.sjcc.online/2022celebration
By the Numbers
Your membership powers the J and help us create a place where friendships form, traditions thrive, and community strengthens. Here’s just a glimpse at how many lives your membership has impacted in 2020-21:
- More than 200 individual campers filled with ruach (that’s “spirit” in Hebrew)
- 139 young learners exploring the world around them in traditional age-based preschool classes plus our new kindergarten, outdoor, and virtual programs
- 1,000 households from all over the world that Zoomed in to our virtual Seattle Jewish Film Festival
- 200+ people working out virtually every week at more than 225 virtual fitness classes since April 1
- Nearly 700 people exercising in the building every week in fitness classes, lap swim, and instructional family swim, and the Fitness Center
- 50 future teen leaders exploring their Jewish values and working together to raise money for their community
- More than 50 community + family events online (since April 1), bringing more than 1,000 families with young children singing and celebrating together
- More than 800 SJCCtv videos to engage the community from storytime to fitness (since March 15)
- More than 3,500 people each month in #VirtualSJCC programs (since April 1)
- Creating more than 600 Purim2Go kits to bring Jewish holidays into homes in innovative ways
- More than 200 pounds per week of food for our neighbors in need, collected through our new Mitzvah Corps program
- 900 virtual programs since March and more than 165 Safe Start-permitted activities at the J since June 1
- 300-plus hours of Virtual SJCC/Zoom events since April 1