Teen Mitzvah Corps – Summer Experience
July 21 @ 10:30 am - 2:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:30 am on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, repeating until August 13, 2020
Volunteer. Lead. Learn.
Teens will explore the issue of food insecurity in the area. They’ll learn together, hear from local experts, and lead projects to help people in need.
Dates: July 15-August 13
Tuesdays-Thursdays | 10:30 am-12:30 pm and 1:30-2:30 pm
Tuesdays + Wednesdays: virtual Zoom meetings; Thursdays: outdoor meetings at the SJCC (weather permitting)
Ages: 13-18, open to teens from all backgrounds
Cost: $336 SJCC members; $380 guests
Registration fee includes a $36 donation to the SJCC.
- Time commitment is 10 hours a week plus reading or podcast listening outside of the program
- Experience will be virtual until able to safely meet in outdoor space at the Stroum JCC
- Teens will learn about food insecurity in the local Seattle area and focus on populations most vulnerable to food insecurity
- Teens will read relevant articles and books, and listen to podcasts, hear from expert guest speakers, and participate in discussions and programs in large and small groups
- Teens will lead volunteer projects in conjunction with the Stroum JCC to help create a food bank for those in need in the community
- Guest speakers from non-profit organizations in the Seattle area will help teens dive deeper into the understanding of community needs and relevant issues, specifically related to food insecurity
- Families will be included each week through emails and volunteer opportunities
- Presented in partnership with the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle