- This event has passed.
Get Groovy with Gaga: Israeli Dance-Fitness Class
June 4 • 10:30 am - 12:00 pm$15 – $18
Get up and get groovy with Gaga! Experience this unique Israeli dance style, founded by Tel Aviv’s Batsheva Dance Company. Gaga focuses on listening to the body and its physical sensations. Instructor Anna Long will guide participants through evocative instructions and rich imagery in this improvisation-based movement class. You’ll connect with your body and imagination, improve flexibility and stamina, exercise agility and explosive power, and enjoy the pleasure of movement in a welcoming, accepting atmosphere. Check out some videos of Gaga below.
Visiting Instructor: Anna Long, Los Angeles-based performer, choreographer, and certified Gaga teacher
- No prior dance experience required. Participants must be 16+.
- Wear comfortable clothing and be prepared to dance barefoot or in socks.
- Bring a water bottle and towel for use after class.
Post-class discussion + refreshments with instructor Anna Long about Gaga and her deep connections to studying dance and living in Israel.
Part of our Israel@75 event series.
$18 | $15 SJCC members/seniors 65+/students
Processing fees apply at checkout
Gaga was created by Ohad Naharin, during his tenure as the artistic director of Israel’s Batsheva Dance Company. He channeled his lifelong curiosity about movement into a concerted, researched, and dynamic movement form he named “Gaga.” Naharin’s movement language became the main daily training for Batsheva Dance Company and classes are offered to the public in Israel and around the world called “Gaga/people.” Naharin and Gaga are featured in an episode of the Netflix documentary series “Move.”
About the Instructor
Anna Long is a performer, choreographer, filmmaker, and certified Gaga teacher based in the United States. Raised in Massachusetts, Anna began her dance training with New England Dance Academy of Attleboro and earned degrees in dance and biology at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, New York. In 2011, she was accepted to the pilot Gaga Teachers Training program in Tel Aviv, and trained under Ohad Naharin, Gaga faculty, and members of Batsheva Dance Company, becoming certified to teach Gaga in 2012. Anna has choreographed and produced works independently and through many commissions. She has hosted Gaga/choreography workshops in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Paris, Denver, and Seattle.
Event Details + Box Office Information
- ALL SALES FINAL | NO REFUNDS | NO EXCHANGES | NO CREDITS
- General admission | Doors open 30 min. before class
- Patrons will receive a reminder email with event details one (1) hour before class.
- Facility and processing fees apply at checkout
- Please view our Welcome Back page for current venue policies, including vaccination and mask policies.
- Patrons agree to all SJCC terms and conditions above and at SJCC Box Office + Venue Policies Page.
Contact BoxOffice@sjcc.org | 206-388-0833 (email is best for a quick response!)
(response time: 24 hrs weekdays-48 hrs weekends)
Visit SJCC Arts + Ideas Box Office for full list of policies.