“Challah” for the J: The Great Challah Contest
Friday, September 13 | 4:30-6 pm
Free to attend
$18 challah contest entry fee
As the SJCC celebrates decades of bringing community together, it seems fitting—and tasty—that we host a challah baking contest to kickoff SeaJAM. Bake your challah at home and bring it to the J for expert bakers to pick their favorite. (See contest rules below.)
Everyone is invited to enjoy the competition, sing songs, have a nosh, toast the J, and take a complimentary challah home for your own Shabbat celebration.
- $18 per entry
- 2 challot (plural of challah) are required per entry: one for the competition, one to share with the spectators.
- Challah will be judged on:
- A special award will be given for the Most Creative
- Wrap your challah in foil with your NAME and EMAIL securely taped to the bottom.
- Drop off your challah at the challah table between 2:30pm and 3:30pm on Friday, September 13.
- Judging will begin at 4 pm. Thank you to our expert judges:
- Robin Wehl, Owner and Baker at Hello Robin Cookies
- Erica Olsen, Chief Pastry Chef at Macrina Bakery & Café
- Shawn Huffman, Owner and Baker at Shawn’s Café & Bakery
- Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 winners.
Join a Shabbat Dinner Around Town
After the challah contest, continue the Shabbat celebration around town! We’re partnering with OneTable, a national organization that empowers millenials (ages 21-39ish) who don’t yet have a consistent Shabbat dinner practice to build one that feels authentic, sustainable, and valuable. Interested in hosting a OneTable Shabbat dinner somewhere within the Greater Seattle area or joining as a guest? Contact Talya Kurland.
After the challah bake contest, join the Friday night dinner you registered to be a part of through OneTable, or celebrate Shabbat in whatever way is most meaningful to you.
Don’t fall within the OneTable age demographic, and still interested in hosting or joining a dinner as a guest? Contact Dana Weiner.