“Challah” for the J: The Great Challah Contest
Friday, September 13 | 4:30-6 pm
Free to attend
$18 challah contest entry fee
As the SJCC celebrates decades of bringing community together, it seems fitting—and tasty—that we host a challah baking contest to kickoff SeaJAM. Bake your challah at home and bring it to the J for expert bakers to pick their favorite. (See contest rules below.)
- $18 per entry
- 2 challot (plural of challah) are required per entry: one for the competition, one to share with the spectators.
- Challah will be judged on:
- A special award will be given for the Most Creative
- Wrap your challah in foil with your NAME and EMAIL securely taped to the bottom.
- Drop off your challah at the challah table between 2:30pm and 3:30pm on Friday, September 13.
- Judging will begin at 4:30 pm. Thank you to our expert judges:
- Robin Wehl, Owner and Baker at Hello Robin Cookies
- Erica Olsen, Chief Pastry Chef at Macrina Bakery & Café
- Shawn Huffman, Owner and Baker at Shawn’s Café & Bakery
- Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 winners.
Join a Shabbat Dinner Around Town
After the challah contest, continue the Shabbat celebration around town! We’re partnering with OneTable, J Connect, and JDC Entwine for a Global Shabbat Experience. Register here to join that dinner (or here to attend dinner at a local couple’s home) – either way, you’ll enjoy a meaningful Shabbat celebration.
OneTable is a national organization that empowers millenials (ages 21-39ish) who don’t yet have a consistent Shabbat dinner practice to build one that feels authentic, sustainable, and valuable.
Don’t fall within the OneTable age demographic, and still interested in hosting or joining a dinner as a guest? Contact Dana Weiner.
"Challah" for Schwartz Brothers Bakery
We’re grateful to Schwartz Brothers Bakery for donating challah to every participant. THANK YOU!
FROM OUR FAMILY TO YOURS SINCE 1973
Schwartz Brothers Bakery is a locally owned, kosher certified bakery with strong community involvement, committed to providing our customers with high quality baked goods.