Employment at the J
The Stroum Jewish Community Center is a 501c3 non-profit agency dedicated to serving the Jewish and general community of Greater Seattle. The Stroum Jewish Community Center is an equal opportunity employer (ECE). The SJCC inspires connections that build community and foster Jewish continuity. Our staff consists of driven and team-oriented individuals. Our organization is membership-based; we continuously acquire new members and focus on retention of existing members by delivering outstanding service at every touch point.
Return application to:
Stroum Jewish Community Center
3801 East Mercer Way
Mercer Island WA 98040
Director of Development
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Director of Development will serve as a key member of the Executive Management team, playing a major role in determining strategic priorities. The Director of Development is responsible for crafting, implementing, and overseeing a strategic and comprehensive development plan for the agency that supports consistent achievement of the SJCC mission and vision, and attainment of its financial objectives.
- Lead the development and implementation of annual development goals and strategies.
- Work closely with Board members, executive leadership, and outside consultants to devise a five-to-ten year development strategy; attend and participate in Board meetings and staff the Board of Directors’ Development Committee
- Work with Controller to develop 10-year financial projections across various scenarios; partner with the Finance team to monitor and analyze the effectiveness of financial resource development efforts, providing key metrics and standardized reporting.
- Create a culture of philanthropy and ambassadorship; work with the Board and CEO to cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts; participate in relevant community events to meet and engage prospective donors.
- Partner with the Marketing team to develop strategic donor communications, including a comprehensive fundraising brand position, various campaign communications, fundraising collateral, and annual case for support.
- Proven success creating prospect identification plans, crafting proposals, cultivating donors and securing gifts over $2 million.
- Past participation in building and activating a capital or comprehensive campaign.
- Experience crafting, presenting, securing, documenting and coordinating planned gifts.
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university and at least eight years of related development experience, and two years of related supervisory experience required.
- Previous experience and/or current skills must include: familiarity with the Jewish community and the ability to share the value proposition of the SJCC effectively with donors; ability to instill trust and confidence in others;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks while thinking and performing strategically; ability to soundly manage finances and budget.
To apply, please send your resume and brief cover letter to SJCC Chief Executive Officer Amy Lavin.
The Office Manager is responsible for assuring a functioning, smooth, and efficient work environment for the administrative team at the Stroum Jewish Community Center.
- Analyze and organize office operations and procedures such as scheduling and meeting coordination, personnel tracking, information management, filing systems, requisition of supplies, and other clerical services.
- Research, develop, and help implement programs and processes that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Maintain office supplies inventory, formulate procedures for record retention, retrieval, transfer, disposal.
- Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Arrange and coordinate meetings and events; attend and document team and Board meetings; draft correspondence with Board members and other partners
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or two years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply, please send your resume and brief cover letter to SJCC Chief Operating Officer Renee Cohen Goodwin.
Summer Camp Counselors
SJCC Summer Camp is a great place to spend your summer! We are looking for dedicated counselors, unit heads, and specialists who are eager to make a difference in the lives of hundreds of campers. Counselors work with kids ranging in age from pre-k to 8th grade. Whether you love sports, theater, cooking, science, or just having fun, you’ll love spending your summer working at the J!
Download the application below and return it to SJCC Summer Camp Director Josh Niehaus.
The primary purpose of this half-time position is to process the payroll and assist in the employee benefits function.
To apply, please send your resume and brief cover letter to SJCC Accounting Manager Melissa Longmuir.
Early Childhood School Teachers
The Early Childhood School at the SJCC on Mercer Island seeks passionate, reflective, collaborative, and inquisitive individuals dedicated to the field of Early Childhood Education. We are currently hiring both full and part-time teachers.
We offer a competitive salary, medical/dental/vision benefits, paid time off, on-site fitness facility, substantial paid planning time each week, weekly team meeting time, and excellent internal and external professional development opportunities.
Minimum Qualifications: degree in early childhood education, elementary education, child development, child psychology, or general psychology as well as experience in the field.
Interested teachers should direct their resume and cover letter to Shayna Medved, ECS Education Coordinator, for our Mercer Island campus; or to Early Childhood School Director-Seattle Jenn Magalnick for the Seattle campus. An additional sample of documentation that you have created on the work of young children is highly encouraged.
An SJCC Kidstown Counselor facilitates and implements educational and recreational programming for children. The focus of this position is to ensure that children have a safe, fun and nurturing environment while under care.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to SJCC Youth and Family Program Coordinator Karli Schiller.
On-Call Sound Technician
The SJCC needs a sound technician to be on call for presentations and events in our auditorium. For more information, please contact SJCC Cultural Arts Director Pamela Lavitt or call 206-388-0832.
The SJCC accepts lifeguard/swim instructor applications on an ongoing basis. Applicants must have Red Cross certification in lifeguard training, first aid, CPR, AED, and bloodborne pathogens.
Contact Dominick Szabo or call 206-388-0821